What if you had joined UMA last year?
UMA helped Dr. Smith save more than $15,833. What could YOU save?
- SAVED $264: Verizon phone based on $100 a monthly bill for one year
- SAVED $500: Financial Planning Services
- SAVED $12,000: Medicare funding saved through UMA lobbying
- SAVED $1,000: Medical Legal Hotline access
- SAVED $295: Utah Physician magazine and Medibyte alerts
- SAVED $700: Group Purchasing discount based on $3500 purchase
- SAVED $60 UMA Physician Directory
- SAVED $500 Free and discounted CME and coding education programs
TOTAL SAVINGS: $15,289
Your UMA Membership = PRICELESS
When you join UMA, you hire powerful profession lobbyists to protect advocate for the viability of your practice. By protecting your practice from legal, legislative and regulatory intrusions, your UMA membership lets you focus on what’s really important: your patients. In addition, a plethora of tangible benefits are also available. Most of these benefits are ONLY available to UMA members:
UMA Financial Services’ mission is to improve the financial well being and peace of mind of UMA member physicians by providing the best possible financial planning services. UMAFS stands alone in its popularity with our members. Important advantages include:
- Consultants are salaried not commissioned—their services are free to UMA members
- Only work with Utah physicians
- Board of Directors physician dominated
- Excellent second opinion
Free Financial Plan Checkup – All member physicians receive a free analysis of their current asset protection and investment strategies
$250 an hour value
Free Ongoing Financial Counseling
There is no charge for ongoing consultations with a salaried advisor as a member of the UMA.
Save Half of Asset Management Fees
Our average fee for assets under management is just over one-half of one percent, half the financial services industry average.
UMA boasts a one-of-a-kind physician-only lobbying group in Utah, providing powerful physician and patient advocacy at the state and national levels. UMA provides effective representation before the Utah state legislature, UDOH, the Governor’s office, DOPL, and other regulatory bodies. UMA tracks and responds to over 150 bills each year in the legislature to protect physician interests and patient safety. For example:
- UMA has consistently lobbied for and received increases in Medicaid reimbursement for physicians or stopped proposed cuts in reimbursement. In 2009 alone, UMA actions saved Utah Medicare physicians an average of $12,000 each
- UMA successfully passed a bill for physicians and on-call specialists regarding medical liability reform for emergency care, tightening the standard of evidence for those bringing a lawsuit
- UMA introduced a bill that would instruct counties to pay Emergency Room physicians for treating county prisoners. Instead of being paid nothing for their services, physicians now get 65% of PEHP rates minimum
- UMA stopped legislation that would make physicians liable for prescribing Schedule II substances without checking the controlled substance database first, should the patient become addicted
- UMA regularly blocks scope of practice expansions by non-physicians desiring to practice medicine by legislation rather than by education and training
- UMA passed prompt pay legislation requiring insurance companies to pay within 30 days of receiving a clean claim
- UMA supported a bill that now expands access to the health insurance market, increases market flexibility and provides greater transparency in the health insurance market
LEGAL and COMPLIANCE SERVICES
UMA’s Physician Legal Hotline can provide information on legal issues that you may encounter in your practice. You must be a member to access an online legal guide. We also offer information on compliance and regulations.
$250 an hour value
UMA’s Physician Legal Hotline
Talk to our in-house attorney who can provide expert information on medical issues that impact you and can save you hundreds and thousands of dollars in fees, penalties, lawsuits, loss of income and more.
Free legal information from Physicians’ Legal Guide
This is an online guide available to UMA members that can guide you through the legal problems in your practice.
Expert information on compliance with government regulations
UMA is prepared to give information on various billing, CLIA, and other compliance issues with government regulations.
PRACTICE MANAGEMENT and INSURANCE
This is your direct link to valuable practice-management resources, including consulting services, group discounts, discounted insurance plans, and credit card processing.
20% off office supplies -- Group Purchasing Opportunities
Amerinet is UMA’s group purchasing organization that promotes quality healthcare delivery and helps all types of providers more effectively manage expenses. Just two examples of savings include:
· 20% discount at Office Depot
· 22% discount for Verizon monthly phone plan
Human Resources Management (including health insurance plans)
UMA recommends Resource Management Inc. (RMI) for our members' needs for human resources management (payroll, employee benefits, and great health insurance plans for you and your employees). Special UMA member discounts available for these services.
15% Discount on Prescription Pads & EMR Printer Paper
All UMA members receive a 15% discount on prescription pads & EMR paper orders placed with Rx Security. For more information, call Rx Security at 1-800-667-9723 or order online at http://www.rxsecurity.com/utah12.html.
20% savings on electronic billing
Utah Health Information Network (UHIN) offers a 20% savings to UMA members for their electronic billing services. It includes claims, eligibility remittance advice, and Speedi which is a centralized credentialling service with payers.
Discounted rate of only 1.75% for credit card processing
Eliot Management Group provides UMA members with a reliable, reasonable and efficient system to process your credit cards at very favorable rates.
UMA provides accredited CME courses throughout the state, such as annual coding updates and joint sponsorship of specialty society and county society meetings. The UMA also accredits organizations in Utah to offer CME designated activities.
Free and/or up to $500 value
Free or discounted savings on CME, coding and other educational courses for UMA members and staff. Also information on compliance with government regulations which affect your practice.
Support to local specialty and component societies
UMA provides administrative support to the following specialty societies:
- Utah Psychiatric Association
- Intermountain Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Utah Society of Anesthesiologists
- Utah College of Emergency Physicians
- Utah OB/GYN Society
- Utah Ophthalmology Society
- Utah Society of Pathologists
- Utah State Plastic Surgery Society
- American College of Surgeons, Utah Chapter
- Salt Lake Surgical Society
- Utah Urological Society
UMA Foundation grants
The Utah Medical Association Foundation issues financial grants for projects to improve or support education of physicians and nurses; to improve facilities and treatment options; to support public health projects that serve to mitigate or prevent disease – all specifically for the benefit of the citizens of Utah. Giving is limited to 501(c)(3) organizations. Some examples of projects funded in the past include Baby Your Baby, Check Your Health, Childhood Immunization Campaigns, Antibiotic Misuse/Overuse Prevention, Boys' Ranch Health Clinic, Rural Health Education Program, scholarships for student nurses, Eccles Health Sciences Library fund, etc.
UMA keeps you and your more than 3,200 member colleagues connected to each other, your patients, and organized medicine through an array of multimedia communication channels.
Member Information Center
Contact us for fast, courteous assistance in accessing member benefits.
Free subscription to members for the Utah Physician, UMA’s bi-monthly comprehensive magazine featuring articles on medical issues both local and national, legal information, health updates, protecting and improving your practice, book reviews, legislative updates, and actions of the UMA House of Delegates and Board of Trustees.
MediByte Electronic Newsletter
Email alerts sent to UMA members to keep them abreast of most current issues. MediByte is emailed in abbreviated form with links to more information as needed.
UMA publications combine a 35 year tradition of excellence in medical publishing with a keen understanding of the information needs of today’s busy clinician. UMA offers the following discounts to UMA members ONLY:
Access to Physicians of Utah, the state's most popular physician referral directory
Free legal information from the online Physicians’ Legal Guide
Save up to 50%
Magazine discount program from magazine vendor, Ebsco, for significant discounts on magazine subscriptions
Get involved, build leadership skills, and contribute your talents to UMA’s efforts. Elected, appointed, and volunteer positions are available to members ONLY.
Special Sections Meetings
Sections offer quarterly meetings with dinners and speakers and/or other activities. Their activities include legislative action and updates, career development, mentoring, the how-to’s of starting practices and other necessary skills, and team building amongst members for support. Sections for Members include the following:
- Medical Student Section
- Resident Physician Section
- Young Physicians Section
- Women Physicians Section
- Organized Medical Staff Section
- UMA Alliance (for physicians' spouses)
County Society Meetings
County medical societies elect their own officers and plan their own calendar which includes dinners, speakers, family events, legislative updates, etc. Each participates in UMA governance via Trustees and Delegates.
UMA House of Delegates and Committees
The House of Delegates is the Association’s policy-making body. Members are elected, appointed, or serve in ex-officio capacity for one meeting per year. Committees meet regularly throughout the year to implement policy, formulate recommendations, and respond to issues as needed.
OTHER TANGIBLE BENEFITS
Discounts on Hotels and Car Rentals worldwide via partnership with Localhospitality.com. See our Vendor Page for details.
Alta Medical Management
Medical billing and collection management. Free $5,000 practice assessment and implementation fee.
Resource Management Inc.
Human Resource management. Fees discounted by $10 per full-time employee and $5 per part-time employee per month.
MedjetAssist - Air Medical Evacuation Membership Program
Exclusive, discounted annual rates for UMA members. Individual and family rates are available for the MedjetAssist air medical evacuation and repatriation membership program. Learn more and enroll by going to their website at www.medjet.com/utahmed or you may call 1-800-527-7478 referring to the Utah Medical Association Opt-in Plan #1393.
Alamo Car Rental discounts:
UMA members qualify for great car rental benefits! This program provides year-round discounts, unlimited mileage and a wide selection of vehicles including luxury cars, SUVs and minivans. Book with your travel agent or Alamo. 1-800-GOALAMO www.alamo.com
 A hypothetical practicing physician belonging to the UMA.
 UMA lobbying benefited all physicians in Utah who see Medicare patients.